Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Golden Week Day 1 – Leaving Imabari

I called the taxi at 11:30pm. It arrived within 5 minutes to pick me up. I was going to take the Willer Express. It’s a relatively spacious and comfy night bus that would take me to Osaka. Tenshing already hopped onto the bus around 8pm and the bus should be here by 12:10.

I thought my trip was off on a very good stop. I didn’t pack until the very last minute. I didn’t have any problems with getting to the bus stop. I was half an hour early before boarding time.

I’m waiting. It is 12:25pm. I texted Tenshing to see where the bus was. He said it was leaving a stop right now. Leaving the stop!? There is only one stop in Imabari! How could I have missed the bus if I’ve been standing here since 11:45pm? I look around. The bus bus should be around here somewhere! Maybe I’ll see it pulling out of the station, or a side street.

I called Tenshing, hoping he would pick up even though I know you’re not supposed to talk on the phone while you’re riding a bus in Japan. Especially one where most of the passengers were already trying to sleep for the night. He picked up. I’m talking fast, confused and panicking. He tells me to wait while he talks to the bus driver. He says he’ll call me back.

I pull up the reservation confirmation email from Willer Express. I click on the link to the map. It’s taking a long time to load. I reread the boarding instructions. 50 metres west of Imabari station. West. I orient myself to face north, the Inland Sea. My heart sinks. i was definitely waiting east of the station.

Tenshing calls me back. I say, the bus has only just left, right? Maybe it can come back to pick me up. Tenshing reports: no go. The bus had waited for 20 minutes. I panic. I don’t see any options to get to Kansai Airport on time unless I take this bus. Tenshing says I can meet the bus. I ask where? and run to the taxis by the station, dragging my rolling suitcase. I hand the phone to the taxi driver and throw my bags in the backseat.

The meeting point is right before the bus gets onto the Imabari bypass. Just a 5 minute walk from my house next to Hard Off and Tsutaya. It’s sort of ironic but I’m too busy trying to calm down to laugh.

I pay the taxi driver and briefly wonder how often people miss their bus and have to take the taxi to the next stop. The bus driver is waiting outside the bus with the bottom luggage compartment open. I tell him I’m really sorry. Tenshing comes down the stairs and apologizes for me too.

I glance at the seating chart. My seat is near the back, but the driver tells me to take the front seat next to Tenshing. I’m grateful I don’t have to do the walk of shame down the centre of the bus.

Every time I travel, something goes wrong in terms of transportation. I can’t get a taxi. I get off at the wrong stop. I go out the wrong door. I go to the wrong airport. With such a major mishap, I’m hopeful that the rest of the trip will go smoothly. So, my trip is still off on a very good start.

Yosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment