Friday, February 11, 2011

Insadaong

When we arrived at Insadong, we stopped by the small information booth next to the entrance. They gave us a map of the area and directions to to the restaurant.

IMG_2718_thumb
It was easy to find the restaurant.

P2110139
We ordered the recommended set course meal with 16 dishes for 14000 won each.

IMG_2721_thumb
Most of the dishes were vegetarian and spicy. I enjoyed the soya bean paste soup the most. It was like squished tofu and reminded me of pea soup. I also liked the fruit salad with sweet sauce. Some of the things were too spicy or tasted a bit too fermented for my tastes.

IMG_2722_thumb1
We were so full, we couldn’t finish all the dishes.

IMG_2724_thumb
I drank cold water right before I left the restaurant so I felt so cold outside. I bundled up so only my eyes were showing.

P2110140
After lunch, we walked around Insadong. The shops sold many traditional souvenirs. There were also a lot of art galleries, antique stores and used bookstores.

IMG_2719_thumb1
We wandered into the Ssamzie-gil building.

IMG_2733_thumb
Welcome!

P2110153
It was designed with a balcony ramp that wound around and around to all floors so you could keep walking up without taking the stairs. It’s actually four stories high but it feels more like one long walkway. It was filled with over 70 shops that sold handmade crafts, sweets and antiques. The path finally ended in a small garden with a few small restaurants on an open terrace. I really liked the atmosphere of the place.

IMG_2726_thumb1
A photographers photographing photographers moment.

IMG_2729P2110148
On the first floor, there is a pastry stand that sold a very unique treat.

IMG_2731_thumb1
Poo! Poo shaped pastries filled with red bean paste.

P2110151
I told my dad to eat poo, and he did!

IMG_2732_thumb1
In Chinese, if you say to somebody “Eat shit!” it is equivalent to saying “Go screw yourself!”

P2110152
 Back out on the main street of Insadong, we passed by many street vendors selling sweets. I wanted to try everything but I was too full from lunch. I saw one street vendor making gigantic slabs of peanut brittle.

IMG_2735_thumb
We walked down the main street until the very end and poked our heads into shops that interested us here and there. I bought some snacks for the zoo tomorrow. My mother made me pose because she wanted to take a photo of the street vender and their little portable plastic hut.

P2110144

No comments:

Post a Comment