Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jungbu Market

Jungbu Market is a traditional market. It is forty years old but still maintains the typical market atmosphere of older times.

IMG_3220
Since I only saw Namdaemon Market at night, Jungbu Market was different than any market I’ve seen so far. I loved taking photos of all the dried goods I saw there. It is not a very big market and many vendors sell the same things.

IMG_3221
The way the fish are tied up is so interesting. It reminds me of crocheting.

IMG_3227
Dried nuts.

IMG_3224
Dried fish.

IMG_3225
Baby dried fish.

IMG_3226
Huge bags of snacks. How many movies would it take to finish that bag of popcorn?

IMG_3228
Meat that is not dried.

IMG_3230
Dried seaweed. They had so many bags in the back, I couldn’t count them all.

IMG_3231
Dried fish head.

IMG_3234
IMG_3235
I’ve never seen fish so dried out. They look like they were starving the desert and then dried up. Seriously, there must be no meat on these fish. They look like skin and bones.

IMG_3249
Dried octopus.

IMG_3238
I don’t know what this is, but I liked how they were held together packaged with string. I think it might be a kind of seaweed.

IMG_3240
This is Ginseng. I would have had no idea what it was if my mother didn’t tell me.

IMG_3250
I think these are noodles in garbage bags. Anyway, they look like vermicelli.

IMG_3244
Dried lantern flowers.

IMGP0795
My father pointed out the drain holes for the market stall canopy on rainy days.

IMG_3243
Manning a market stall doesn’t seem so bad. Dried fish doesn’t stink like fresh ones. Regular customers, daily market gossip, a heater and a tv in a cozy space. That’s all you need!

IMG_3248
I have noticed this recycled cloth being used often in the markets. It can be put under merchandise or used as a mat on the floor. It is nice to know that old cloth can be used like this instead of thrown out.

IMG_3241

No comments:

Post a Comment